Simcoe To Benefit From Sustainable Planned Growth
McGuinty Government Directs Facilitator To Review Parts Of Proposed Amendment
March 25, 2011
Ontario is helping ensure families in the Simcoe area enjoy strong communities and economic growth over the next 20 years.
As part of the ongoing work on the Proposed Amendment 1 to the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, the Minister of Infrastructure has directed the Office of the Provincial Development Facilitator (PDF) to work with municipalities in the Simcoe area.
The PDF will ensure a focused, streamlined process, and will provide the Minister with recommendations. The PDF will review and consider a wide range of growth planning issues and municipal concerns before the Government of Ontario proceeds with the proposed Amendment. In particular, the terms of reference for the Facilitator will focus on:
- Reviewing the allocation of the population and employment forecasts for the lower-tier municipalities in the County of Simcoe set out in Schedule 3 of the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe,
- Identifying how to manage the oversupply of land and implement the policies of the proposed Amendment, and
- Developing alternative intensification and density targets for the designated Greenfield areas in Simcoe County to ensure the creation of more compact, mixed-use communities.
The proposed changes to the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe are part of the Open Ontario Plan to help create jobs, limit sprawl and strengthen municipalities in the Simcoe area.
- The PDF will report back with recommendations to the Minister by November 1, 2011.
- The PDF provides provincial mediation, negotiation and facilitation services to Ontario municipalities, developers and community groups to achieve coordinated and integrated decisions on ongoing large scale planning which may cross municipal boundaries and watersheds.
- The Simcoe area has a diverse economic base that includes agriculture, resource-based industries, manufacturing, research and creative industries and a strong service sector.
See what the Government's vision is for the Simcoe area.